Find The Tornado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Find The Tornado

By Registering you will be able to create your own gallery and chat in the chatbox at the bottom of the page and also post messages in the forum! Sign up Today!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

10-13-09: CO

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pat Darrow

10-13-09:  CO Empty
PostSubject: 10-13-09: CO   10-13-09:  CO Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Woke up and realized it hadn't snowed yet. Heard reports of heavy snow west of me about 50 miles and south of me about 30 miles. Left Meeker at 7:30a and encountered mostly wet roads as I traveled south on Colorado Highway 13 and then west on Rio Blanco County Road 5. Snow level was about 8,000 feet.

After making a loop of 100 miles and thinking NWS really messed this one up, the snow came. For the next two hours, near white out conditions and treacherous roads greeted me as I made my way back toward Meeker on Colorado Highway 64.

Arriving in Meeker at about 11:30a, I heard reports of white out conditions on Highway 13 and the road described as a skating rink. So, off I go. Reports didn't lie. Average speed was 10 mph and plows had put a nice "shave" to the road (better than any gamboni could do on an ice rink). Of course, I was hoping my dsl stayed up for my home weather cam to capture all of this.

After playing on the ice for a while, the storm moved southeast, sun came out, and roads became tolerable once more.

Total snow depth of 7.5" recorded in a 6.5 hour period.

I shot some video and will try to post later.

In my neck of the woods, winter storms tend to be very localized. 30 miles in either direction, reports were of rain and overcast skies. Meeker and surrounding area got the bulk of the snow.

It is now clear outside and a balmy 14 degrees.
Back to top Go down

10-13-09: CO
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Find The Tornado :: Reports & Chase Logs :: Chase Logs-
Jump to: