Find The Tornado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Find The Tornado

By Registering you will be able to create your own gallery and chat in the chatbox at the bottom of the page and also post messages in the forum! Sign up Today!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

TSCS, What would you change?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AndyG
Admin

TSCS, What would you change? Empty
PostSubject: TSCS, What would you change?   TSCS, What would you change? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 12:46 pm

The Topeka storm chaser convention has came and went, I did not attend due to other obligations. I did see some of it on video and knew what the event was about, what would you change, what were your likes / dislikes?

Personally, anytime before November in my opinion the severe weather season is NOT over with yet!!!
We have severe weather in the upper midwest on a regular basis in July, and if i ever have to choose between a "convention"/get together or a storm chase, any real chaser is going to tell you storm chase, it's not even a question in my mind. Despite what the fine folks at stormtrack are led to believe the season goes longer than May and June!!!
Second thing is the fact that it's 3 hours, the location of this even gets a HUGE thumbs up, it's actually in tornado alley and in the heart of the country, would Kansas City be a better location than Topeka? Yes in my opinion. However if you want people to travel your going to have to get more of a weekend schedule rather than just a 3 hour get together.
Thirdly, I think this was a great idea, despite the complains it's constructive criticism, only offering up what I think would help the event.

Andy
Back to top Go down
https://findthetornado.forumotion.net
Pat Darrow

PostSubject: Re: TSCS, What would you change?   TSCS, What would you change? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 10:05 pm

I agree, Andy. I thought I would be in the area to attend it but got stuck in eastern Colorado on other obligations. I would think it could be similar to a mid season version of ChaserCon, maybe a three day weekend event. I too saw the vids and liked what I saw. I know a lot of time is spent on forecasting, etc. but with all the technology out there, it would be really nice to have an event where folks/chasers can actually see the equipment in use and talk about likes and dislikes, what works and what doesn't work. So, the equipment and outfitting of chase vehicles was a plus I thought. Also, an education component (weather related, of course) would be a valuable addition. Maybe, how do you successfully chase a storm and avoid costly damage and potential injury.

My .02 worth.
Back to top Go down
Bart.Comstock

PostSubject: Re: TSCS, What would you change?   TSCS, What would you change? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 4:49 am

I think they were able to get away with a July time this year since this has been suck a slow season. I think October would be best as if you wait till anytime past that people will having to flip a coin between TSCS and ChaserCon. On a normal year most people that go to a late season meet and greet like this would have gone to Rocky's picnic that was canceled this year.
Rocky's picnic is nice since the dates are able to be moved around due to it being just a get together, but if you start to schedule speakers and what not you can't have that flexibility and thus pose the chance of a late season outbreak in the northern plains or a early cane making land fall in the US.
As for the venue I think Topeka as a city would be great... there or lets say Hays since its fairly centrally located and cheap to host a event there and stay there. Kansas City would be good too but the cost of renting out a small center could get expensive as the hotels there wont be so easy to talk into dropping their rates for their meeting rooms.
Since this meeting seemed pretty hammy why not have it set up where there was a short HAM radio class and the option to take the test at the event? Maybe have some other training or booths to show off different streaming services and chaser related products and a few educational presentations concerning chasing techniques and photography and videography and maybe a first responder class given by the Red Cross. In stead of having a punch of weather talks like Denver that may or may not directly impact chasing you could make this event one that is more educational to newer chasers and gives veterans a chance to share their craft and maybe refresh their knowledge.
I also propose a iron lung should be on location for me to use or plant it so I'm not sick like I was last time, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.severestudios.com
AndyG
Admin

PostSubject: Re: TSCS, What would you change?   TSCS, What would you change? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 4:15 pm

You are right about the cost Bart, maybe Wichita, again centrally located is all a matter of opinion on where you live. Which not in your case since your closer to Wichita but I feel like Texas/OK guys get the shaft, OKC to Topeka is a long haul, OKC to Denver is a long haul, think of all the chasers in OKC - Tulsa - DFW...
Back to top Go down
https://findthetornado.forumotion.net
Bart.Comstock

PostSubject: Re: TSCS, What would you change?   TSCS, What would you change? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 1:28 am

One good thing about Topeka for OKC is that you just go up 35. It takes me 5hrs30min to drive to Topeka and I have to take 71 up to KC and deal with traffic and construction their or take two lane 75 up through Kansas which takes the same amount of time to drive but is two lanes. I think Wichita is the absolute best choice imho as that is center to everywhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.severestudios.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TSCS, What would you change?   TSCS, What would you change? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TSCS, What would you change?
Page 1 of 1